Friday, March 03, 2006

Clarion Ledger Letter of the Day - March 3, 2006

Well, wouldn't ya know it, the day immediately after I attempted to highlight the lunacy sometimes found in the Clarion-Ledger's "Letter to the Editor" feature, there are no outrageous letters. I suppose it serves me right for sticking my neck out like that.

Anyway, I liked Mrs. Kelly Jacobs' letter today and she makes a point I hadn't thought of (which is not that hard to do, but still). It's a little more sinister than I would describe it, but it's a good point nonetheless. Mrs. Jacobs asks:

"I think a darker reason was behind the cuts in student loans: the war in Iraq and the low enlistment numbers. By cutting low-interest student loans, this president is trying to force America's youth to enlist with the military so their college will be "paid" for - if they survive."

Again, I don't know that I agree, but she makes a good point.

Here's the letter in its entirety:

Must students pay for war in Iraq?

I have two sons - a 15-year-old and a 17-year-old who's going to Ole Miss in the fall - so I am concerned about how we will pay for their college tuition. Congress keeps passing tax cuts, during a time of war and massive deficit spending, and now another $6 billion will be added to the $12 billion cut from the budget for student financial aid/loans and Pell Grants.


The president said, "If we ensure that America's children succeed in life, they will ensure that America succeeds in the world." Bush is exhorting the children of America to get a good education "so they have a better chance at good, high-wage jobs." How can they when they cannot afford college without financial assistance?

I think a darker reason was behind the cuts in student loans: the war in Iraq and the low enlistment numbers. By cutting low-interest student loans, this president is trying to force America's youth to enlist with the military so their college will be "paid" for - if they survive.

America's only salvation will be the 2006 elections when we must get out the vote and toss out the officials who have supported the unending war in Iraq, budget deficits, tax cuts for the rich and the lack of any oversight for all of this spending, spying and lying.

I'm not the only parent who wants her children to get a college education; I'm just fortunate that they will not have to risk their lives to get one.

No comments: